Will Facebook kill Google? DailyFinance

Will Facebook kill Google? -- DailyFinance

No, is clearly the answer, because we want both of them in our lives.
But some interesting points about the potential that facebook can provide marketers. For me, the issues of privacy will continue to shackle an environment which is very personal for people, versus a search task which could be seen in a more objective light and for which relevant ads enrich the experience rather than detract.
While I can definitely see money for facebook in display ads, I can only see large potential when the marketing model changes to adapt to how people want to communicate and act on the internet. Facebook will scale with permission marketing, not broadcast marketing. This does not mean broadcast is dead - I don't mind ads relevant to my location and recent surfing, just as i don't mind a TV commercial relevant to the place I live and the type of program I am watching. So, we'll continue to see a lot of spend in this way to reach audiences.
But I do mind an unexpected ad in facebook spookily close to details about me I feel are more private. That will continue to be the break on revenue growth

In the meantime, it's interesting to see Yahoo and AOL re-launch themselves in the advertising community at Ad Week in New York. Yahoo in particular have launched their own marketing campaign with plenty of $ across all media. It does feel a bit old school though.

Comments