Rupert Murdoch's threat unlikely to worry Google

Rupert Murdoch's threat unlikely to worry Google |
Media |
guardian.co.uk


I can understand the sentiment coming from an owner of 'content' but I think he would clearly lose more than he'd gain. It's about finding the new business models, not sustaining the old.
Search, and more importantly developing real time search, will continue to guide users on the web and get them their news. But this is instant gratification headline news. Great quality content, debate and use community are much harder to find and elements of it worth paying for.
For me, it has to be about memberships and micro-payments. I'd like to be a member of a portfolio of providers of my choice. I don't want to be restricted to one media mogul. I may well want to make sure that my sources are diverse.
Then I am happy to be presented with options as to how to access their content. Perhaps monthly dues work? Perhaps pay per article? Give me options like my mobile service. Currently the short snippets of article and then requirement to pay or sign up to see more is a blocker.
Interesting to think about the way the social networking games work, such as Zynga's FarmVille. They show that money can be made from making people get something, share and then wanting more.

Comments