Niall Ferguson's War of the World

I am not sure that the book really convinces me of its premise - 'twentieth century conflict and the descent of the west'. And it's focus on the second world war perhaps sacrificed quality on the post WWII period. But, some really clear and compelling analysis about some of the most horrifying state and individual acts we humans have been capable of. It sent a chill down my spine at many moments. But I also respect it's clarity in holding up the mirror to humanity.
There were some very interesting writing about the behaviors of soldiers and surrender in the first world war versus the second world war. And then some very harsh writing about the capabilities for destruction, rape and racial persecution.
I think that Germany is the most disturbing. Hitler was democratically elected, and so I think sets him apart from Stalin, Mao or Japan. Clearly the country was struggling after the first world war and in the depression, but I still struggle to see how the people of Germany fought so hard for Hitler and his policies against the Jews. I don't think there is an answer anyone can be comfortable with.
But I don't see a descent of the west either. Clearly, the empires of UK, France and others are long gone, and these days it is common to headline some relative decline of the US too. But the decline of empires is a good thing, as is the development of the European Union, Silicon Valley, the World Cup, the Olympics, the G20. Power has changed, but for me that is not descent.
But considering the global nature of the world 100 years ago, I think this book shows still that we can never be complacent. It is amazing how quickly that neighbors become murderers, informers, persecutors. And while a prosperity can advance us all together, a serious depression can drive terrible developments. I guess I am very happy that our economies seem more stable than 2 years ago, and see the strategic importance of continued economic progress.

Comments