What LeBron James and the Miami Heat Teach Us About Teamwork | Fast Company

What LeBron James and the Miami Heat Teach Us About Teamwork | Fast Company

As the Heat go up 2-1 in the Finals, it's great to look back on this article. Even though the author did not quite think they would get this far this year, and perhaps win it, it draws out some great learning on building a team. I can't say I am a close basketball follower, but it seems to make a compelling case study to me. Companies and Departments often hire the stars but struggle to get them to work well together. In this case, I really think they have shown the ability to adapt their individual game for the team.
A lot was made of their premature celebration in Game 2, which in my opinion was in no way out of order. They were obviously pumped up and doing well. They did lose it from then on, but I would put that down more to a team still building rather than the results of arrogance. Perhaps they are not yet clicking smoothly as a team when things get tough - that is a not a surprise to me in their first season.
The 'desired' story is that the individual stars will tear the team apart. In game 3, LeBron's reply, on his defensive contribution rather than offensive stats, seems a really great point supporting what is really going on. Individual stars also know what it takes to make a team. That would be a really great story, and I think these guys know it.

Video: LeBron James does not care for your question, Gregg Doyel - Ball Don't Lie - NBA�Blog - Yahoo! Sports

Comments