Why I Take Fake Pills | Science | Smithsonian

https://www.braingymmer.com/en/blog/placebo-effect-eng/

A fascinating piece on the interplay of medicine and psychology. The power of belief is strong. Maybe one day, we can demonstrate that our body can heal faster when we believe it can.

Why I Take Fake Pills | Science | Smithsonian: "Did this mean that psychotherapy was nothing but a placebo? It took me quite a while to consider the reverse, that placebo is a form of psychotherapy. It’s a psychological mechanism that can be used to help people self-heal. That’s when I knew I wanted to learn more."

"One of the key elements of the placebo effect is the way our expectations shape our experience. As he handed over the pills, Kelley wanted to heighten my “expectancy,” as psychologists call it, as much as possible."



Comments